Close Menu
    Trending
    • Commentary: Soaring World Cup ticket prices could bring in US$15b for FIFA, but where will the money go?
    • Trump says Iran agreement ‘largely negotiated’, awaiting finalisation | News
    • Ciara Miller ‘Excited’ To ‘Move On’ From Amanda Batula Drama
    • Suspect ‘down’ after shooting at officers near White House, official says
    • US police responding to dozens of shots fired near the White House | News
    • Opinion | Graduating Into A.I. Pessimism
    • Tamera Mowry Reacts To ‘Weird’ Fans Loving Her Brother
    • US and Iran report progress on talks ending war, looking to next few days
    Ironside News
    • Home
    • World News
    • Latest News
    • Politics
    • Opinions
    • Tech News
    • World Economy
    Ironside News
    Home»Latest News»What is Israel’s new major ground offensive, Operation Gideon’s Chariots? | Gaza
    Latest News

    What is Israel’s new major ground offensive, Operation Gideon’s Chariots? | Gaza

    Ironside NewsBy Ironside NewsMay 19, 2025No Comments9 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Israel’s navy has launched an intense ground offensive within the besieged Gaza Strip.

    The offensive comes on the again of a greater than two-month whole blockade on Gaza after Israel determined to unilaterally finish a ceasefire with Hamas in March.

    Israel has come below growing worldwide strain, together with from its staunch allies in the US authorities, to comply with a ceasefire and permit assist into Gaza.

    In the meantime, Hamas and Israeli negotiators are in Doha for brand new oblique talks.

    Right here’s every part you should find out about Israel’s newest floor assault:

    What’s Operation Gideon’s Chariots, and why did it start now?

    Operation Gideon’s Chariots is a serious floor offensive launched by Israel on the Gaza Strip that comes after air assaults killed a whole bunch of Palestinians in latest days and additional debilitated Gaza’s healthcare community. With the backing of Israel’s deadly air drive, the operation is focusing on each southern and northern Gaza.

    The assault started because the second day of ceasefire talks between Israel and Hamas ended on Saturday in Doha. Israel tends to accentuate operations and assaults throughout such negotiations. It stated this newest offensive is exerting “super strain” on Hamas.

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu launched this newest assault as US President Donald Trump concluded his Middle East tour of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates however didn’t cease in Israel.

    A whole bunch of displaced Palestinians wait exterior a charity kitchen in Gaza Metropolis to obtain restricted meals rations on Could 18, 2025 [Haitham Imad/EPA]

    What are Israel’s acknowledged targets for this assault?

    The Israeli navy stated the offensive was launched to broaden “operational management” within the Gaza Strip.

    Israel says its marketing campaign additionally goals to free the remaining captives held in Gaza and defeat Hamas.

    Nonetheless, Netanyahu has been repeatedly criticised by segments of Israeli society, together with captives’ households, for failing to prioritise their return and has additionally rejected Hamas’s affords to finish the warfare and free the captives.

    Every week earlier than the beginning of the operation, quotes had been leaked of Netanyahu talking concerning the compelled displacement of Palestinians in Gaza exterior the Gaza Strip.

    “We’re destroying increasingly properties. They’ve nowhere to return to,” Netanyahu stated in closed-door testimony made to the Knesset’s Overseas Affairs and Defence Committee. “The one inevitable final result would be the need of Gazans to to migrate exterior of the Gaza Strip.”

    What has occurred in Gaza for the reason that offensive started?

    Since Sunday, the day Israel confirmed the operation, a minimum of 144 individuals have been killed in a relentless wave of strikes. No less than 42 individuals died within the closely bombarded northern a part of the Strip, based on medical sources. 5 of these killed had been journalists.

    In southern Gaza, a minimum of 36 individuals had been killed and greater than 100 wounded in Israeli air strikes on a tent encampment of displaced Palestinians within the al-Mawasi space of Khan Younis governorate, based on medical sources.

    However the lead-up to the operation additionally included heavy assaults.

    Previously week, Israel has attacked greater than 670 locations in Gaza and claimed all had been “Hamas targets” positioned each above and beneath the bottom. Israel has been accused of disproportionately focusing on civilians in Gaza, together with displaced households. No less than 370 Palestinians had been killed over 5 days.

    Because the begin of the warfare in October 2023, a minimum of 53,339 Palestinians have been killed and 121,034 wounded, based on Gaza’s Ministry of Well being.

    The severity of the latest assaults has many Palestinians expressing fears on social media that their newest posts could also be their final.

    On Monday, the Israeli navy issued compelled evacuation orders for Khan Younis, Gaza’s second-largest metropolis, warning of an “unprecedented assault”.

    INTERACTIVE - Gaza Israeli army bombs more hospitals nasser european awda indonesian-1747642730

    What’s Israel focusing on?

    Israel stated it’s focusing on Hamas targets, a declare that has been more and more challenged by human rights teams and consultants as its greater than 19-month warfare on Gaza continues.

    Among the many websites hit are hospitals, a recurring goal for the Israeli navy in Gaza. Muhammad Zaqout, the director common of hospitals in Gaza, described the tactic as a part of “Israel’s systematic measures in opposition to hospitals”.

    On Sunday, the Indonesian Hospital in northern Gaza was rendered nonoperational after it was besieged by Israeli forces. Medical professionals stated it might result in the deaths of 1000’s of sick and wounded individuals.

    The state of affairs was described as “catastrophic” by Marwan al-Sultan, the director of the power, who additionally known as on worldwide organisations to push for the security of medical groups.

    Al-Awda Hospital in northern Gaza’s Jabalia and European Gaza Hospital in southern Gaza have additionally been bombed.

    In latest days, Israel stated it has killed Hamas’s chief within the Gaza Strip, Mohammad Sinwar, the brother and successor of the late Yahya Sinwar. It additionally reportedly killed one other Sinwar brother, Zakaria Sinwar, a college lecturer, and three of his kids in an air strike on central Gaza.

    Netanyahu in Budapest
    Netanyahu’s workplace says some assist can be allowed into Gaza to keep away from famine [File: Marton Monus/Reuters]

    How has Hamas responded?

    On Sunday, Hamas launched a press release calling the assaults on displaced Palestinians in Khan Younis a “brutal crime” and a flagrant violation of worldwide legal guidelines and norms.

    The group additionally positioned blame on the US for backing Israel.

    “By granting the terrorist occupation authorities political and navy cowl, the US administration bears direct duty for this insane escalation within the focusing on of harmless civilians within the Gaza Strip, together with kids, girls, and the aged,” Hamas stated.

    Relatives of the deceased mourn as the bodies of Palestinians killed
    Relations mourn family members killed in an Israeli assault on the al-Saftawi area at Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza Metropolis on Could 18, 2025 [Khames Alrefi/Anadolu]

    What’s the present humanitarian state of affairs inside Gaza?

    The complete Strip is liable to famine.

    Primary humanitarian provides, together with meals, gasoline, medical assist and vaccines for youngsters, have been blocked by Israel from getting into the Strip. Greater than 90 p.c of the inhabitants has been displaced for the reason that warfare started on October 7, 2023. Many Palestinians have been displaced a number of occasions with some individuals being compelled to relocate 10 occasions or extra.

    Israel has refused the entry of any assist since March 2. Worldwide actors and businesses have been urgent laborious for Israel to renew the distribution of assist to Gaza to little impact.

    “Two months into the newest blockade, two million people are starving, whereas 116,000 tonnes of meals is blocked on the border simply minutes away,” stated World Well being Group chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus talking on the opening of the annual World Well being Meeting.

    One in 5 Palestinians in Gaza is presently going through hunger, whereas 9,000 children, who’re most weak to Israel’s continued meals blockade, have been hospitalised for acute malnutrition for the reason that begin of the yr, based on the United Nations.

    Late on Sunday, Netanyahu introduced that some meals can be allowed into the Gaza Strip in a a lot wanted reprieve for the native inhabitants.

    “Israel will enable a fundamental quantity of meals for the inhabitants to make sure that a starvation disaster doesn’t develop within the Gaza Strip,” Netanyahu’s office said in a press release.

    Netanyahu stated on Monday that the transfer was motivated by strain from Israel’s allies.

    It’s unclear when the border will open to permit in assist.

    Interactive_Gaza_food_IPC_report_May13_2025 starvation hunger famineWhat’s the standing of the ceasefire talks?

    The most recent spherical of talks began on Saturday, and by the tip of Sunday, there had been little progress.

    Talks are set to proceed this week.

    Israel and Hamas each claimed the talks started with out situations.

    “The Hamas delegation outlined the place of the group and the need to finish the warfare, swap prisoners, the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, and permit humanitarian assist and all of the wants of the individuals of Gaza again into the Strip,” Taher al-Nono, the media adviser for Hamas’s management, instructed the Reuters information company.

    The criticism of Israel is growing.

    UN Secretary-Common Antonio Guterres stated he was “alarmed” by Israel’s expanded offensive in Gaza and known as for an instantaneous ceasefire.

    Germany, one among Israel’s foremost backers, expressed deep concern over the offensive.

    Its Federal Overseas Workplace stated in a press release: “A big-scale navy offensive additionally entails the chance that the catastrophic humanitarian state of affairs for the inhabitants in Gaza and the state of affairs of the remaining hostages will proceed to deteriorate and that the prospect of an urgently wanted long-term ceasefire fades.”

    After the offensive was confirmed, French Overseas Minister Jean-Noel Barrot known as for the “speedy, huge and unhampered” resumption of assist into Gaza.

    Even earlier than the offensive, worldwide strain on Israel was rising.

    Seven European nations urged Israel on Friday to “reverse its current policy” on Gaza.

    The leaders of Iceland, Eire, Luxembourg, Malta, Slovenia, Spain and Norway launched a joint assertion on what they known as a “man-made humanitarian disaster that’s happening earlier than our eyes in Gaza”.

    Tom Fletcher, the UN’s humanitarian chief, has known as for decisive motion to forestall genocide in Gaza.

    He criticised the US-Israeli joint plan to interchange worldwide assist mechanisms in Gaza as a “waste of time”. Greater than 160,000 pallets of assist are “prepared to maneuver” on the border, he stated, however are being blocked by Israel.

    Volker Turk, the UN’s human rights chief, stated on Friday that Israel’s bombing marketing campaign is meant to deliver a few “everlasting demographic shift in Gaza” and is in “defiance of worldwide regulation”.

    a man in a suit sits in front of a UN emblem on a blue background
    Tom Fletcher has known as for decisive motion to forestall genocide and known as the US-Israeli assist distribution plan a “waste of time” [Denis Balibouse/Reuters]



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleDigital billboards: Seattle is not Las Vegas
    Next Article Netanyahu says Israel will control Gaza as aid trucks prepare to enter
    Ironside News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Latest News

    Trump says Iran agreement ‘largely negotiated’, awaiting finalisation | News

    May 24, 2026
    Latest News

    US police responding to dozens of shots fired near the White House | News

    May 24, 2026
    Latest News

    ‘Fjord’ by Romania’s Cristian Mungiu wins Cannes top film prize | Cinema News

    May 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Blue Origin’s Blue Alchemist Tech Transforms Moon Dust

    September 23, 2025

    Commentary: Netanyahu will do just enough for the idea of Gaza ceasefire to keep Washington in his corner

    July 23, 2025

    Everton vs Manchester United: Premier League – kickoff, team news, preview | Football News

    February 21, 2025

    Netanyahu says backing Palestinian state sends message that murdering Jews pays off

    September 26, 2025

    Prince Andrew Reportedly Out Of Favors With British Taxpayers

    August 16, 2025
    Categories
    • Entertainment News
    • Latest News
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Tech News
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • World News
    Most Popular

    Chinese students shaken by US visa crackdown look for Plan B

    May 31, 2025

    Know an Amy or Wubbo? These are the 2025/26 storm names

    September 1, 2025

    US citizen charged with trying to attack US embassy branch in Tel Aviv | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    May 26, 2025
    Our Picks

    Commentary: Soaring World Cup ticket prices could bring in US$15b for FIFA, but where will the money go?

    May 24, 2026

    Trump says Iran agreement ‘largely negotiated’, awaiting finalisation | News

    May 24, 2026

    Ciara Miller ‘Excited’ To ‘Move On’ From Amanda Batula Drama

    May 24, 2026
    Categories
    • Entertainment News
    • Latest News
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Tech News
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • World News
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright Ironsidenews.comAll Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.