Close Menu
    Trending
    • US judge strikes down Trump immigrant visa ban affecting 75 countries | Migration News
    • AI-Powered Marketing Tech: Latest News and Releases
    • Anna Faris Says Son Jack, 14, Asked Her To ‘Accept Jesus Christ’
    • US health department seeks public feedback on vaccine guidelines after Trump order
    • California lawmaker overcomes pro-Israel spending to win special election | Elections News
    • TikTok to pay $400m to US in one of largest child privacy settlements
    • Market Talk – August 21, 2026
    • Trump Rally Draws Crowds to Myrtle Beach
    Ironside News
    • Home
    • World News
    • Latest News
    • Politics
    • Opinions
    • Tech News
    • World Economy
    Ironside News
    Home»World News»Maps: How Ebola Has Spread in Central Africa
    World News

    Maps: How Ebola Has Spread in Central Africa

    Ironside NewsBy Ironside NewsMay 22, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    The region of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo where Ebola broke out has made the virus difficult to contain.

    With the area consumed by years of conflict that have displaced more than a million people and stripped health capacity, the rare form of the virus circulated undetected for weeks.

    Where Ebola has spread in central Africa

    Note: Data as of May 21. Most of the case and death counts are suspected and not confirmed. Source: World Health Organization; Democratic Republic of Congo Ministry of Communication and Media. The New York Times

    The number of suspected and confirmed deaths is already among the highest for any outbreak in Congo’s history, and officials expect the toll to rise.

    A previous Ebola outbreak in the area became the second deadliest ever recorded. It took two years to contain, starting in 2018.

    Health officials believe the current epidemic began in Mongwalu in Ituri Province. Heavy population movement is common in the region because of violence and seasonal labor in the gold mines.

    Ituri Province borders South Sudan and Uganda, raising concerns about cross-border transmission. Uganda has so far reported two cases in its capital city, including one death. The virus spreads through direct contact with body fluids and is commonly transmitted in health care settings.

    Officials have said that a lack of testing capacity in Ituri Province delayed their response to the outbreak. Equipment there, more than 1,000 miles away from the capital, only tests for the most common species of Ebola and not the species causing this current outbreak, so early results came back negative. Samples sent later to Kinshasa, Congo’s capital, identified the rare species, Ebola Bundibugyo.

    The unusual species has only been identified in two prior Ebola outbreaks: in Uganda in 2007 and in Congo, just west of Ituri Province, in 2012. The current outbreak has already surpassed the combined toll of these two episodes.

    The majority of past Ebola outbreaks on the continent are caused by the most common species, known as Zaire. That form of Ebola caused the deadliest outbreak on record in West Africa more than a decade ago.

    Historical Ebola outbreaks

    Note: Historic data shows confirmed and probable cases. The 2026 numbers include confirmed and suspected cases. Sources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (historic outbreaks); Ministry of Communication and Media of the Democratic Republic of Congo (2026 outbreak); Airbus (satellite image); Natural Earth (geographic features). The New York Times

    The Bundibugyo species of Ebola is not well understood by scientists, and there are no approved vaccines or therapeutics. Local health officials are working to trace those who may have come in contact with sick people, but warn that contact tracing will be very difficult in a region with so much migration.

    The response has also been hampered by the near-absence of the United States, which used to fund disease surveillance and maintained emergency teams in the region.

    The World Health Organization has said that while the risk of regional spread is high, the outbreak is not currently a global threat.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleCuban Crisis Escalating | Armstrong Economics
    Next Article Can Venezuelan oil save India amid the Hormuz energy crisis? | Oil and Gas News
    Ironside News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    World News

    Six key questions raised by Harry and Meghan’s return to the UK

    August 20, 2026
    World News

    Everything we know so far as London train derails near Lewes

    August 13, 2026
    World News

    When will we know the Clacton by-election result – and could Count Binface pull off shock win over Farage?

    August 11, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    BP seeks to sell North Sea business as UK faces drilling dilemma

    July 31, 2026

    The world urgently needs a US-Iran deal now | US-Israel war on Iran

    May 25, 2026

    UK exposes Russian cyber campaign targeting support for Ukraine

    May 21, 2025

    Victor Reacts: Illegal Entry Is Treated Like a Crime — Because It Is a Crime (VIDEO) | The Gateway Pundit

    October 18, 2025

    Trump Arrives in Qatar After Meeting Syrian President: Live Updates

    May 14, 2025
    Categories
    • Entertainment News
    • Latest News
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Tech News
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • World News
    Most Popular

    Jessie J Rushed To The Hospital After Car Incident In China

    March 23, 2026

    Who is Alaa Abd El-Fattah? The British-Egyptian activist facing calls to be stripped of citizenship

    December 29, 2025

    Lisa Rinna Reveals Daughter Nearly Died From Infected Nipple Piercing

    September 7, 2025
    Our Picks

    US judge strikes down Trump immigrant visa ban affecting 75 countries | Migration News

    August 22, 2026

    AI-Powered Marketing Tech: Latest News and Releases

    August 22, 2026

    Anna Faris Says Son Jack, 14, Asked Her To ‘Accept Jesus Christ’

    August 22, 2026
    Categories
    • Entertainment News
    • Latest News
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Tech News
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • World News
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright Ironsidenews.comAll Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.