Close Menu
    Trending
    • James Lafferty Has One Condition For Joining ‘DWTS’
    • US military watchdog probes strikes on alleged drug boats: Reports
    • Lebanon and Syria reshape ties amid Israeli attacks and regional shifts | Politics News
    • Planatir To Control Britain’s Health Data
    • Pete Davidson’s Split From Girlfriend Takes A Messy Turn
    • Japan arrests Americans over stunt at baby monkey Punch’s zoo
    • How Philadelphia’s Democratic primary tests the bounds of US progressivism | US Midterm Elections 2026 News
    • Jon Favreau Admits This ‘Star Wars’ Character Isn’t ‘Disney Cute’
    Ironside News
    • Home
    • World News
    • Latest News
    • Politics
    • Opinions
    • Tech News
    • World Economy
    Ironside News
    Home»World News»Gazans Once Escaped To Rafah. Now Israel Is Razing It.
    World News

    Gazans Once Escaped To Rafah. Now Israel Is Razing It.

    Ironside NewsBy Ironside NewsMay 15, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Last year, a million Palestinians fled to Rafah, the southernmost city in the Gaza Strip, to escape the brunt of Israel’s bombardment in its war against Hamas. When Israeli forces later invaded Rafah itself, they flattened areas along the border with Egypt, but many neighborhoods were largely spared the worst of the war.

    That is no longer the case.

    The Israeli military has destroyed extensive parts of Rafah since it ended a cease-fire in March after talks with Hamas collapsed. In early May, after much of the destruction was already complete, Israel announced it would soon launch an “intensive” escalation of its campaign in Gaza. Over the previous two nights, strikes have killed dozens of Palestinians in Gaza, Palestinian officials said. On Tuesday, the Israeli military targeted Muhammad Sinwar, a top Hamas leader in Gaza, near a hospital in Khan Younis.

    Satellite images analyzed by The New York Times show that the Israeli military has flattened large areas in and around the city of Rafah and built new military infrastructure in the last two months.

    Israeli leaders say capturing more territory inside Gaza will pressure Hamas to surrender and release the remaining hostages that the group has held since it led a deadly attack on Israel on Oct. 7, 2023. Israel’s defense minister vowed that Israeli forces would “clear out” the areas and “prevent any threat,” including in Rafah.

    Israeli security officials have previously said that tunnels between Egypt and Gaza have allowed Hamas to stock up on weaponry and other supplies.

    In response to a question from The Times about the Israeli military’s operations in Rafah, the military said that it was part of an effort to secure operational control and conduct counterterrorism operations.

    “We will replicate the model implemented in Rafah in other areas of the Strip as well,” said Effie Defrin, the Israeli military spokesperson, in a press briefing last week.

    Demolishing Block by Block

    Here is what the operation looks like on the ground: Four excavators could be seen in a video verified by The Times tearing down a row of buildings in Rafah’s Shaboura neighborhood in April. The video, first shared on an Israeli Telegram channel, was taken from an armored vehicle.

    Ali Abu Express via Telegram

    Satellite imagery shows that hundreds of buildings were destroyed in this neighborhood during the month of April, including on the block where the video was filmed.

    Source: Satellite images via Planet Labs

    Earlier this month, the Israeli security cabinet approved a new plan to call up tens of thousands of additional soldiers, to seize and hold territory in the embattled enclave, and to forcibly displace Palestinians to the south. But the satellite imagery shows the areas of the south where buildings are still standing are getting smaller and smaller.

    Another video shows four buildings destroyed in a controlled demolition. The video, uploaded on an Israeli soldier’s Instagram account and shared by the Palestinian journalist Younis Tirawi on his X account, was filmed in northern Rafah, where much of the destruction has taken place. Satellite image shows that the demolition took place sometime in April.

    New Construction

    Israeli forces are not just clearing land. They are building on it.

    One new road already stretches more than three miles from the Israeli border across Rafah into agricultural areas. It is protected by berms, trenches and several military outposts.

    And other construction is moving at a rapid clip, the satellite images show.

    Several new military outposts, often graded, paved and surrounded by defensive walls, have been built across southern Gaza in the past month. Soldiers have also commandeered buildings to use as bases, such as an under-construction hospital.

    Source: Satellite image via Planet Labs

    Israel calls the road it has constructed from the Israeli border the “Morag Corridor,” which Mr. Netanyahu said last month was intended to cut Rafah off from the rest of the enclave. The name is a reference to a Jewish settlement that existed in the area until Israel withdrew its soldiers and civilians from Gaza two decades ago.

    What the construction might mean for the long term is uncertain. Some Israeli officials have agitated for Israel to rebuild Jewish settlements in the enclave, but Mr. Netanyahu has rebuffed the prospect for now.

    Mr. Netanyahu said last week, after much of the construction and razing in Rafah was already in progress, that Israel was “on the eve of a forceful entry to Gaza.”



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleAlphaEvolve Tackles Kissing Problem & More
    Next Article Opinion | The Forecast for 2027? Total A.I. Domination.
    Ironside News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    World News

    Timmy the Whale Found Dead In Denmark

    May 18, 2026
    World News

    Which supermarkets are cheapest for branded foods? New survey reveals some surprising results

    May 18, 2026
    World News

    Americans Affected in Ebola Outbreak, C.D.C. Says

    May 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    US vetoes UN Security Council Gaza ceasefire demand for sixth time | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    September 18, 2025

    Harmeet Dhillon Says Justice Department Will Monitor Local Investigation of Vicious Attack on White People in Cincinnati Caught on Viral Video | The Gateway Pundit

    July 28, 2025

    France pushes for joint debt to bolster international role of euro

    June 21, 2025

    IShowSpeed Vows WWE Comeback After Brutal Injury

    February 2, 2025

    Protests Against ICE Operations Spread to More Cities

    July 9, 2025
    Categories
    • Entertainment News
    • Latest News
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Tech News
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • World News
    Most Popular

    Gaza’s daily nightmare vs US talk of AI-driven smart cities | Donald Trump

    February 1, 2026

    Teen DOGE Staffer Brutally Beaten By Mob After Saving Woman From DC Carjackers

    August 6, 2025

    Doug Martin, former NFL Buccaneers All-Pro running back, dies at 36 | American Football News

    October 20, 2025
    Our Picks

    James Lafferty Has One Condition For Joining ‘DWTS’

    May 19, 2026

    US military watchdog probes strikes on alleged drug boats: Reports

    May 19, 2026

    Lebanon and Syria reshape ties amid Israeli attacks and regional shifts | Politics News

    May 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Entertainment News
    • Latest News
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Tech News
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • World News
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright Ironsidenews.comAll Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.